Saturday, October 14, 2006

Saturday

Today I started out by making a list of everything I need to do today. This was very easy, because I mostly copied over yesterday's list, and added a few things that came up last night and this morning. Last night, not so productive, except in the taking a nap and watching TV kind of way.

More interestingly, today I received my contributor copies of Apex Science Fiction and Horror, #7. You can grab a copy from the Apex web site, or keep an eye out in your local bookstore. It's got some lovely art by Sandro Castelli (we love his stuff over at Shimmer, too!), and plenty of stories and interviews. I'm looking forward to settling in to read it, once I've made a sizeable dent in my List.

My story is The Minotaur's Rabbit, which was written for the Apex contest at Liberty Hall. It is a jolly tale about a bunny, and I hope you like it.

It's one of those stories that I wrote for my own reasons, and never really expected anyone else to like or even pay much attention to. In part, it was an exercise: I wanted to see if I could Apex up a story but still have it be mine. I almost never write SF or horror, so I was skeptical, but the experiment went well, I think. It was also part therapy story; let's just say that the week I wrote that was a very bad week for one of my cats.

So I wrote it for those reasons and a few more besides, and did my best with it. And I was content that I'd done with it what I set out to do. But I truly never expected other people to like it so much; it's a wonderful bonus.

Seems that I have more and more stories like this - things that I write as an exercise or a game or therapy and never intend to think about again - but people keep liking them. I think I'm going to start trusting my readers more, and sending more of these odd bits out.

And now, back to the List. No matter what else I get done this weekend, I swear I'm going to get the laundry out of the dryer and put away. No Matter What.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your comments about writing the story. I'm going to link them from the Apex blog. :)

Jason

Sean Markey said...

Cool, Beth! It's a pretty great story...