Saturday, August 25, 2007

Apex and a Coconut

In the mail today, a copy of Apex's Best of 2006 anthology. There's some good reading in there, including Mary's Cerbo en Vitra Ujo. I wrote an appreciation of Deb Taber's story, How to Raise a Human. I've even forgiven Jason Sizemore for getting my name wrong. :) It's a good book; grab yourself a copy.

Sean's been doing most of the grocery shopping lately, and he's under standing orders to bring home a variety of produce. "Get whatever looks interesting," I said, "and I'll figure out what to do with it.

Yesterday he brought home a whole coconut, and I must admit that I'm not sure what to do. The last time I had a whole coconut, I got a little tipsy and made a coconut meringue pie at 2 am (without implements of destruction to open the coconut, or anything more than a whisk to do the meringue - it was a hell of a lot more work than it neeeded to be). Clearly I can not be trusted with coconut-based decisions - so any suggestions about how to consume this coconut?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Place one coconut in a plastic bag, then wedge under tire of car, start car, drive over coconut.

That should open it easily enough. :)

As for eating, make some chocolate cookies, grate coconut, sprinkle over cookies, eat cookies.

Christie Skipper Ritchotte said...

Pina Coladas!

Anonymous said...

Don't ask why, but the only way I've ever seen a coconut opened is with a machete.

KayTi