Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Importance of Contact Info....

The other day, I received a submission via mail (despite only accepting submissions via e-mail, we do occasionally get a paper submission).

The submission did not include a SASE for my reply. It also did not have any contact information on the cover letter or the story itself. The envelope does have a return address, but got some heaving black marks on it during the mailing process, and I can't read it.

So if you're the nice young man in Everett, WA, who recently mailed me a story, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to respond to your submission. Next time, please submit via e-mail; at least that way I can reply.

Most publications have useful information about how they'd like stories submitted: e-mail or in paper? What kind of formatting? Are multiple or simultaneous submissions allowed? Make it easier for both yourself and the editors by understanding the mechanics of submitting stories.

Any questions? Leave 'em in the comments and I'll do my best to answer.

No comments: