Sunday, July 15, 2007

We Conquer Ikea

It was approximately eleventy-billion degrees in the house today, so we headed out for the air-conditioned wonders of Ikea.

Now, I've never been to an Ikea before. I've never lived in a city that had one - and when I was visiting other cities, I always had far more interesting things to do. I was expecting a massive sprawling store (check), filled with smallish inexpensive furniture (check). I was also expecting huge crowds, total overload, and to walk out of there with fifteen things besides the coffee table we went looking for.

But I guess we lucked out. It wasn't crowded or too overwhelming. I did manage to drop a coffee table on my foot (why, yes, the same one I sprained a while ago, how did you know?), and my new shoes were not the most comfortable - but I can't say either of those things was Ikea's fault. So we tracked our coffee table to its lair, hoisted it to the register, and escaped. The only extra thing we got was $2.00 worth of oven mitts.

We put the coffee table together a little while ago; it wasn't even missing any pieces!

Life is working out pretty well these days, all in all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you notice a striking similarity between the floorplan in Ikea to the third task's maze of the Triwizard competition in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire? I mean, apart from the hedges, betwitched shrubberies, and a riddling Sphinx, of course. It's almost as if one needs a Portkey to escape Ikea after entering. At least, that's how the Ikea is here in London...

Speaking of HP, are you anxiously awaiting Deathly Hallows like the rest of the Potter-crazed world? Snape: whose side is he on? And all that.